Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More on London

Have I mentioned that we loved London? Our second day in London involved touring the London Tower, Picadilly Circus, the Princess Diana Memorial, a walk past the flower garden and the Albert Memorial.

I really enjoyed the London Tower. We took a guided tour through the castle which was partly in ruins. The castle dates back to... well... a long time ago. I can't remember that much detail! We went through the display of jewels which wasn't all that great. The "jewels" were crowns from previous Kings and Queens and gold platters. None of that was very interesting to me. We did go through the torture chamber which I thought was very interesting. Does that make me wacko?

Piccadilly Circus is similar to our Times Square. It is the place to be. I wasn't very impressed with it. There were a few places to shop which everyone engaged in but me. I was too busy taking pictures and trying to figure out what some Chinese guy was saying to me.

I was excited to see the Princess Diana memorial but after I saw it, I was pretty disappointed. The memorial was so bad that I only took one picture and it isn't even worth posting. There was no statue. There was no information. There was no birth date or death date posted. Now I really believe that there was quite a bit of animosity between the royalty and Princess Diana. If you ever go to London, you can skip this memorial. We also strolled passed Kensington Palace and got some shots. At both locations we talked with an "interesting" man who claimed to be the most famous Princess Diana fan in the world. He kept telling us to google him. We think he is obsessed with her.

The flower walk wasn't filled with very many flowers but I did get one shot that I liked (see below). That walk also took us past the Albert Memorial. This was a nice photo opportunity for me. However, I don't know much about him, so I wasn't inspired. I will say his memorial was a million times better than Princess Diana's.

Famous London Phone Booth

London Tower - part of the castle that isn't in ruins

This is where individuals were beheaded at the London Tower. YIKES!

This photo shows the Scavengers Daughters - a torture device where the body is basically squished until the individual suffocated!

This is a pretty bridge right before we got to Princess Diana's Memorial.


This is just a pretty flower from the flower walk. It might have been the only flower blooming!!!

No comments: