Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life

When I went to visit my Grandma on March 29th, she wasn't doing very well. She was stuck in a wheel chair and she wasn't able to get move much. She complained that her butt hurt from being in the wheel chair constantly. Of course, this was partly her fault because she chose to give up therapy. She told her therapist that she was 92 years old and she shouldn't have to go to therapy if she didn't want to. Who can argue with that? My parents would visit her every day and they would keep me posted on how she was doing. Some days were better than others but overall, her condition wasn't very promising. On the other hand, I also know how stubborn she is. About 10 years ago, she fell in her apartment and hit her head. She wasn't found until two days later. She was rushed to the hospital. She had surgery to stop the bleeding in her brain. The doctors declared her dead on the operating table - TWICE. She was a fighter and she surprised us all by living almost another decade. This past Friday she decided that she had lived a full life and let go. Although I was sad to hear the news, I was glad that she wasn't in pain any longer. I will miss her. I am so happy that she lived such a long and healthy life.

Violet Pickel-Schroyer - 1917 - 2009


6 comments:

Katie Heupel said...

I'm sorry, Miranda. Sounds like she had a long, full life. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Perez said...

Sorry to hear that Miranda. Sounds like she was a spitfire; reminds me of my late great-grandmother.

My condolences

The Wietholder's said...

Why didn't you tell me last night when we talked??? I am so sorry!! I should of been there for you...

Casey said...

Those are great pics of the two of you!!

Bridget said...

Awe, Mir! =( My thoughts, hugs & prayers are w/ you sweetie.. Your grandma is in His good hands, and will be watching over you..

The Incredible Mrs. Sean Schick said...

I'm way behind on my blog reading....although this entry was a sad one, it was beautifully written. And what awesome pictures from your wedding - your Grandma is beautiful!