Thursday, May 8, 2008

Biennial Conference For Women

State Farm sent me to The Biennial Conference For Women in Champaign for the past two days. I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought I would walk away full of energy and motivated to do more, spend less, and eat healthier. The conference did leave me energized and was awesome to say the least. There were so many great speakers and so many tips to make your life better. Not that anyones life was "bad" but we are all so busy and seem to need a balance with work, life, kids, friends, pets, ourselves, vacations, hobbies, meals, chores, etc. etc. I was glad to find out that I am not the only one who has a hard time saying "no" and that I am not the only one who feels like I need about 8 more hours in the day. I walked away with a lot of quotes from the speakers. Maybe, maybe - if I just read these periodically I will benefit from the point they make. For example, Kathleen Passanisi quoted that "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." In other words, say "no" sometimes. Another topic was about how women worry about nothing. One quote I wrote down from Eileen McDargh is that "Worry is interest paid on a debt we might not owe." Interesting point! I will slip in some more quotes in future blogs. All attendees at the conference received a tote. It is pretty darn cute...




The closing speaker on day one was Ann Quindlen. She is a Pulitzer Prize–winning columnist and novelist. She gave a great speech focused on women and how things have changed for us. Prior to hearing her speak, I looked at the variety of books she had written in the book store. One book was Good Dog. Stay. I was immediately drawn to this book because it was about her lab and how we could learn a thing or two from our pets. I bought it and read it last night. It is a short, bittersweet read. I really enjoyed it - although it did leave my cheeks soaked.


There were many stories that gave me chills but one imparticular that I wanted to share with you all. In short, a senior softball player hit a home run which was giving her team a win on Senior Night. She missed first base and quickly turned around to touch it. In doing so, her knee gave out and her ACL tore. Since she could no longer walk, let alone run around the bases, the umpires confirmed that her only option was to get a substitute and count it as a two-run single. Her team was not able to help her because they weren't on the field. Then her opponent stepped up and volunteered to take her around the bases, helping her to tag each one so that she could have her first home run on Senior night. The article link does a much better job with the story... but it really is touching. I am glad to see that there is still some sincerity in this crazy world... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=hays_graham&id=3372631

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Very cute bag! I love bags. I'm addicted. (hehe.. I can admit that on other peoples' blogs.. just don't let the hubby hear! lol)

Sounds like an interesting 2 days.. You'll have to share more =)